There was an error in this gadget

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

ESSENTIAL QUOTIENT OF A SUCCEFUL MANAGER.

What is the most important trait for a manger in discharging its duty efficiently? The management experts and the psychologists have been trying to answer this question. In the last century two important quotients were proposed – namely IQ and EQ. One was to access the analytical capability and the other was the measure of behaviour.

Significant work was done on IQ analysis and the tools to measure the same in the first half of the century. Many tests were available by 70s. It had become imperative and highest degree of weightage was given to this single quotient in promoting potential and budding managers in the hierarchy. But higher IQ ranking alone did not give all successful managers to the business. So, the scientists started analysing other traits. Nearing the end of the 20th century a new dimension – Emotional Quotient, became the talk of HR circles.

It was in 1995 when Daniel Goleman published a book on emotional intelligence, since then EQ has been in debate. More than 100 different types of tests so far have been developed to measure EQ of which only 3 or 4 qualify the scientific approach. So lots of work needs to be done on EQ.

Emotional maturity is more important than IQ for a manager to repeat in the performance consistently. One of the study reveals that behind the success of a manager IQ contributes 10% and 30% contribution is of EQ taking total to 40% of mental maturity. The study was carried out on 450 managers of Massachusetts state of USA.

To understand emotional maturity, one should understand the various feelings – emotions arising in human mind. They are – anger, hatred, liking, disliking, depression, happiness, sorrow, humanity, hope, ego, etc. A mature mind needs to identify what type of feelings are getting generated in its own sphere and control it before they are expressed or visible to the others.

EMOTIONAL QUOTIENT TABLE
Similarly, this is also important to classify the feelings of others and channelise them to the positive vibes. An eye for an eye might be the dictum of a brigadier in army but not in business. Anger if responded with anger would lead only in breaking away the paths – Envy with envy pulls down both the opponents. So, wisdom is in forgive the enemy.

This is the more important dimension than IQ or EQ. The feeling of envy is the single most factor ruining the organisation. A person with high degree Envy Quotient is the one who gets disturbed by the slightest happiness of others. They do not tolerate if others are appreciated in the team. These are the people who are sadistic in nature. Their energy goes more pulling others down. They fail to collaborate with the team mates.

EnQ (Envy Quotient) is the one which has destructive power, where as others two are neutral to positive. The range of EnQ would range from negative infinity to the positive infinity. Therefore, it becomes more important to evaluate a manger’s aptitude on EnQ first and then IQ or EQ.

A group which has net sum of EnQ zero or up will always perform better even with less of IQ then the group with best of IQ but EnQ sum in reds. Remember EQ and EnQ are totally different.